Friday, November 29, 2019

OUR WRITING GROUP #2...

Reading over Muriel's previous post reminded me to say a few words about our writing group. Once a writer, always a writer, I guess. The Writing Project gave me the freedom to write for myself, and in every situation where I've worked with teachers, I have encouraged them to write for themselves. There is something about having to puzzle through finding the right word or expression to make my thoughts clear on paper that creates an empathy in me for others who write. This is critical in working with students.

I can't emphasize enough how helpful it is to try out the writing prompts you give your students before or at the same time you assign them. Where do you struggle? They undoubtedly will stumble in the same way. Did you have trouble creating an exciting introduction? Your students have the same problems and can benefit from seeing how you tackled the prompt. Or you can be brave and share your rough draft and ask for their input. Tell them what you are struggling with and implement their help.

Back to our writing group, we bring a piece of writing we have been working on during the past month or so. We try to bring fresh work each time we meet. My writing has been all over the place from a factual biography of my grandmother to an editorial on ageism. I generally look back to short pieces I have written in various workshops or something that is nagging at me in my daily life. I'll post a few in future blogs.

The format of our sessions doesn't vary much from time to time. We usually start out with a prompt that we all write to for 5 minutes. We follow this with individual sharing. Next, we share the writing we have brought from home. Generally there are 4 or 5 of us and we, individually, read our texts aloud. Feedback is given if requested, otherwise, the writer generally talks about what inspired the piece and where she wants it to go. We generally end in 2 hours.

At the moment, I am sifting through letters written to me by friends and family after my first year in college. I'm hoping my writing group can help me find a way to fit them together. More later.

1 comment:

  1. So enjoyed your reflection of our writing group! I'm looking forward to our next gathering. We should have some holiday experiences to share!

    ReplyDelete