Thursday, March 12, 2020

2 THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE A PERSONALLY IMPORTANT TOPIC

One of the writing prompts I liked to use came from sharing a section of Journal of a Prairie Year by Paul Gruhow.  Starting on page 99, I would read a section that begins, “There are certain objects, certain smells, certain sensations that are for me indelibly etched in particular time.“  He then details memories of smells, sounds, sights from each month.  As I read the passage, I asked my writers to free write ideas that began to surface for them.  This activity often provided starting points for several memories.

Try it:  Take a few minutes to jot down smells, sounds, sights that come to your mind for each of the months and then choose one of the memories you would like to share about in writing.   

Here is one of my drafts:

I close my eyes and a memory of a typical Saturday night of my youth emerges.  It is a cool night, refreshing after a hot summer day -- a night of sun-burned shoulders and crisp sleeveless sundresses. 
            Cars jockey for prime parking spots on Main Street
            Soft filtered jukebox music flows from the Sugar Bowl
            A steady stream of “hopeful” teens parade in and out
            Last minute customers head into the bakery
            A couple of boyfriends sit on the bar stools waiting for dates to finish their
                work shifts
            Palpable excitement of impending romantic adventures fills the air
An idyllic, carefree memory, unburdened by any adult responsibilities or worries – nothing more than who? is dating whom?



No comments:

Post a Comment